Wednesday, February 9, 2011

And so it begins...

I am a happy person.  I am in love my husband, David Guy, who is all around wonderful. I have a fantastic loving family immediate and extended.  I have close friends who mean a lot to me and I have a job that pays well.  

So what's wrong?  Why am I looking for A Happier me?

It's a couple of physical things.  First is something that has bothered me since my childhood, my teeth.  I have a overbite, aka an overjet with a large gap. And two, I'm overweight at my heaviest 215lbs.  Sure, its not extreme but at 5'5" for my BMI I am considered - Obese.


So where do I begin? I begin with Invisalign.  
I like to get advice from others and if I don't know anyone personally, I often look to www.yelp.com. Yelpers seemed to really like David Galler, so I decided I'd get a consultaion with him.  At the consultation I was told I could have my desired smile with 10 months of treatment. That's 10 months of wearing aligners (clear plastic trays) for 22 hours a day for a whopping $5,300. That is considerable more than traditional braces but I've tried traditional braces, well they only lasted for 2 months, inside my lip was sore and often cut from the metal attachments to my teeth.   I've been warned that invisalign is not pain free but I am ready for it. 
The molds have been made for the aligners which I'm told will take 3 weeks to be ready. Making the molds was interesting. Some blue goo is put on my teeth and then some blue goo is put in a tray.  Then that tray is put in my mouth and held in place by the doctors hand, hmm, how does one breathe then without gagging.  Through your nose...slowly; in and out, slowly.  There are also a bunch or pictures and a panoramic x-ray.

So I will not see Dr. Galler again until March 2nd at 4:30 PM.  He's advised me to eat a big meal because it may be painful after the aligners are on for the very first time.  I'm actually excited to get this process started.  I can't even imagine my smile with teeth lined up and no gap.

Weight-loss is the next struggle.  
It starts with food.  I have a weakness for cakes and pastries. I cook and bake at home, including my own bread, but I have to slow that down immediately.  A lot of healthy diet suggest, small frequent feedings, 5 to six meals per day and I'm trying.  Starting with oatmeal for breakfast, followed by fruit and yogurt, a good lunch another snack post lunch and then dinner.   The eating smaller portions I can deal with.  What I'm having a difficulty with is exercise. I don't like it, but I must.  I have the Wii and the WiiFit, exercise DVDs Turbo Jam by Chalene Johnson; 30 day shred from Jillian Michaels, a few Yoga DVDs and trainer for my bicycle so that I can ride inside.  But none of these gets used regularly.  The trainer is louder than I thought, but with ear buds, that shouldn't stop me.  So I will commit to exercising at least three times a week.  And will only have dessert twice a week until the cravings go away.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Sonnett, this was a great idea. I can related to both your struggles. It's so weird because we tend to think that we're the only ones with image issues when there are so many women who wants to be "A Happier Me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. A weight loss tip you might like:
    Quinoa... Eat it instead of rice or bread. Eat as much as you want, it goes with any meal. It fills you up so you eat less and it is a complete protein, it does not turn to fat like starches and sugars. It has lots of fiber and is easy to digest. Put most of that on your plate with what ever else you like to eat, and in a few months you can easily drop 10-20 lbs without the exercise. To drop more though you'll have to work that body ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonnett I lost 20 pounds on Nutrisystem. And what is different with them then Weight Watchers, is they get you trained in eating smaller portions and more fruits and vegetables. The habits of their plan was already close to my eating habits I just had to do the smallest refinements, choosing lowerfat cheese (Weight Watchers brand), and switching my Almond Milk back to Soy which is lower in fat. I had a friend who saw wonderful results which is why I did it and I am now keeping the weight off. And feel and look better then ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trevor, congratulations on your weight loss, that's really great. The problem with your method though,I like to cook too much, and just can't wrap my head around having my meals delivered. I do eat a lot of fruit & vegetables, but I must work out more and balance portion control better. I also have a killer sweet tooth. But I am seeing some change. I'm down about 5 lbs since my first post. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Sonnett. Its not only you who has a hard time with exercise, my cousin is too. I suggest that you should choose an exercise that connects with who you are. Example, if you like dancing, you can have zumba as your exercise. If you're into sports, you can also try walking or swimming or running. The exercise that connects with you is important to choose because in the long run, you get to stick to it. My cousin jogs with friends and she likes it a lot. Also, it would be helpful if you have an exercise buddy to help you get through all this. Just a suggestion. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete